Candidate profiles for the ABESPA election are no longer being accepted. The Election begins Dec. 1.
- ABESPA regulates the practice of speech-language pathology and audiology in the state of Alabama.
- ABESPA consists of seven members, one from each district in the state. Three members of ABESPA are audiologists and three are speech-language pathologists. The seventh is a "member of the consuming public or an allied professional." (ABESPA Administrative Code, 870-X-1-.02; Code of Alabama 1975, Section 34-28A-40)
- Each ABESPA member serves a three-year term, with rotating terms so that only two or three members are replaced at any one time.
- SHAA elects nominees for each upcoming vacancy on the board. The governor then appoints ABESPA members from those nominees.
To become a candidate, please submit the candidate profile form.
- reside in District 3 or 6
- be licensed by ABESPA
- be capable of attending a monthly ABESPA meeting (typically the 2nd Friday - meetings generally begin at 9 am and are done by noon) during the term of office: Oct 2018 - Sept 2021
- have been engaged in rendering services to the public, or teaching, or conducting research in speech-language pathology or audiology for at least five years
- have not served the two previous consecutive terms on ABESPA
Election and Appointment Timeline:
|1 Dec 2017||Qualified candidates will be added to an electronic ballet submitted to all Full and Life members of the Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama. Voting begins.|
|15 Dec 2017||Voting ends at midnight. The election results will be tabulated electronically.|
|22 Feb 2018||Names of the nominees chosen by election will be announced at the SHAA Annual Dinner Meeting|
|1 Mar 2018||Names of all nominees will be submitted to the governor, who will then appoint ABESPA representatives from that list of names. The governor has no deadline, so SHAA cannot guarantee when the appointment will take place.|
|As soon as the governor’s office notifies SHAA of the appointment, a notice will be sent via email and snail mail to the remaining nominees. SHAA doesn’t control the governor’s appointment timeline.|
|12 Oct 2018||New ABESPA representatives will meet with the other board members in Montgomery.|
Appointed ABESPA members who must travel to the meetings are compensated for travel costs as permitted by the state and receive complimentary SHAA convention registration from ABESPA.